We all remember our parents telling us that breakfast is the most important meal of the day. We also remember dismissing it at least once or twice because, well, they’re our parents? As it turns out, this ancient saying couldn’t be more accurate. By consuming an early morning meal, the metabolic rate increases thereby triggering your body’s caloric burn into gear. If you skip breakfast, your body doesn’t process your next meal as quickly because it tries to hold onto the nutrients.
So I thought it would be rather appropriate to kick off my first post here at A Skinny Dish with my favorite breakfast recipe. It’s quick & easy, fruity & nutty, delicious & healthy. Drooling yet?
Strawberry, Banana & Mixed Nuts Oatmeal
- 2 tbs Cooked Rolled Oats (cooked as per packet’s instructions)
- 1/2 tbsp Pistachios (slivered or chopped roughly)
- 1/2 tbsp Walnuts (chopped roughly)
- 1/2 tbsp Ground Flax Seeds
- 1/4 tsp Ground Black Sesame
- 1tbsp Raisins or Sultanas (optional)
- 1/4 cup Almond Milk (or your preferred milk substitute)
- 1/4 Banana (diced)
- 1 Strawberry (diced)
- Place cooked oats in a serving bowl
- Add the raisins, banana, all the nuts & seeds
- Warm almond milk in a small saucepan and pour it into the bowl & stir
- Top with diced strawberries & Voila!
This recipe yields 1 small bowl of Oatmeal (perfect for portion control). For some, you may want to double the quantity to yield 1 big bowl. Remember to go organic as much as you can!
Benefits in a Nutshell:
essential fats from the nuts, calcium from the sesame, fiber from the flaxseeds, antioxidants from the strawberry, energy from the banana and last but not least, oatmeal itself contains cholesterol-lowering agent.